My Studio

My Studio
the mon. sketch group

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Peace Flags





I usually only post my artwork here but today I will add some photos to the mix. As my wife and I were returning home from shopping, we encountered a display of tiny flags decorating the law Southern Oregon University lawn. It started near the arts buildings so my first thought was senior art project. But as we drove along, we began to notice little red flags distributed among the white ones. We began to realize that this may be something other than a school project. The small white flags lined Siskiyou Blvd. from one end of the campus to the other. And as we approached So. Mountain Ave. we saw a group of people planting these flags in neat little rows. I knew that I needed to get some pictures of this event. I also called a friend, David Lorenz Winston, a photographer, who I knew would be very interested in this also. When I returned to the spot where the group had been planting flags, they were engaged in a prayer circle. And when they had finished they confirmed my thought that this was indeedabout the dead in Iraq. They had planted 120,000 white flags and 800 red ones, representing representing only a small percentage of the total dead. While I was taking pictures, my friend David was taking some a block away. It is him with his back to me in one of the photos I took. This is a powerful reminder of what continues to go on in Iraq, so let's don't forget.